Saturday, June 08, 2013

Welcome To Marfa

Came out for a quick overnight relaxation / live music trip, before I head back and prepare for my move!

Driving here melts everything away...only the hour S of Albuquerque, and maybe 90 minutes between Las Cruces and El Paso are tedious at times. The rest, bliss. I often do the first part, but rarely go the second, from El Paso to Marfa.

The freeways, then US highway, stretch down high desert valleys, between mountain ranges, with off-the-chart skies and light. Then, Marfa.
This is the first house  with an updated landscape entering Marfa from the west on US-90. And the first time I've seen it in the light of a rain-cooled evening.

Clean lines, great native plants, no jive, and no HOG:-)

Maybe a bit too minimalist, but it is effective.

Great wall and cap, offering relief. Nice softening with plants.

Plants - everything here thrives in Abq.  Marfa and Albuquerque are quite similar in climate and are  both in the Chihuahuan Desert ecoregion, but 450+ miles separate them. Abq in a valley next to massive mountain ranges, Marfa on a highland or plateau, with small mountains scattered about. That, with 5 degrees of latitude, offers more subtleties or distinctives in growing gardens than it does real differences.

Desert Willow, Ocotillo, Valerian...

That Apache Plume must be incredible behind that wall, in full seed and bloom.

Ocotillo, better than any [in]security bars. This town uses ocotillos more than any place I've been, often for fences.

Of place!

Always reaching...and that cooled, rain-soaked sky!

Well, like Abq rain...drops 6" apart, and even if more, it dries up, every plant or
grain of soil soaking up each drop.
More later...time to get my room, change, and hit a concert with
Jimmy Dale Gilmore, his son Colin and his band, at a local venue!

14 comments:

  1. My sister's father-in-law was buried in Marfa, the family has/had a house there.

    Issues with its distribution. Hmm. Never asked about the conclusion.

    Gotta love bad family behavior !

    Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting...even some associations with far-out Marfa...that's amazing! I wish bad family behavior was amazing, but it sounds common more than not...

      Delete
  2. So, are you moving to Marfa? It looks like an awesome place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but believe it or not, it was on my original list of, "I could live here, and I don't have to be where my work is much of the time." Then reality set in! But it is a great place, interesting mix of people, but thank goodness the locals are still there to add more grit and character (and balance, reality, etc)!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a beautiful trip to an interesting town! Hope you enjoyed the concert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the concert was a great end to the day, but the quick hit of landscape drive-bys was almost as good!

      Delete
  4. Love those ocotillos in the background behind the bike parking! Neat town! Hey, have you ever seen an ocotillo in a pot???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking about some posts on all the ocotillos used in Marfa, especially as fences. I have seen ocotillos in pots - years ago, at the old botanic garden in Las Vegas NV!

      Delete
  5. Keep the Marfa garden posts coming! It's a great little town and I'm glad you're posting about it.
    David/:0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I have a few to come; many great plantings and a feel of openness around town. Nothing like arriving from here, and there it was cool and moist...though the next day was just like here...hot and dry!

      Delete
  6. Love seeing it rainwashed and in soft light. I wonder if the Prada store is still there. I heard Ronald Rael give a talk about its creation at Berkeley Bot. Garden and how it became a shrine for shoes at one time. A special place I need to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, so refreshing compared to our respective areas right now! Prada Marfa is still there, and as I was coming in, a couple (including a quite-gleeful woman) ran across US-90 to take a peek after dinner. There are often people there, and I bet to many women, it is quite the shrine!

      Delete
  7. Hi David!I like the minimalist house a lot (of course). And the ocotillos plant/fencing idea is pretty good. I wouldn't mind seeing a post about it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola...agreed, and Marfa has a unique aesthetic that I think comes from the spare look of the high plateau / desert grassland it's on. I'll definitely post more on my quick drive-by this time, and I have a past post or two from other trips! I hope to attend their annual contemporary home symposium this November.

      Delete