Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Winter Garden by the Hour

It was a mellow time between recent weeks of Christmas and New Year's Day, yet still unproductive. Talk about burn-out from too much busy (the bad kind) and other interruptions for years. And with our abnormally cold, unsettled weather for weeks, I captured the effects of the sun / cloud parade out my home office view.

Enjoy the change from cool and moist, to sunny and drying, to colder, windy and even drier.
7:35 am (sunrise a while ago, but that's all the light)

Our average winter snowfall at the low end of the Sandia foothills is about 10-12", but the range of it is more revealing - many years see less (perhaps 6-8"), a few years see much more (25-35"), and a few years see much less (<3"). 

This year may be more like the last, since unsettled periods any year usually create a few 2" snowfalls, paralyzing the city until the noon after! Not this winter.

10:00 am (sorry about the blur - I was excited to just find some water in my rain gauge from the overnight snow showers)

10:20 am

11:20 am

12:30 pm

1:20 pm

2:30 pm

3:15 pm

4:30 pm

5:00 pm (and that watermelon-red sunset on the foothills to the SE)

Musical pairing: all of "Winter Into Spring", by George Winston 

22 comments:

  1. My kind of snow, the kind you don't have to shovel! Very pretty day all in all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - heavy snow is for driving to - for skiing on up there, or looking up at from my sunny patio!

      Delete
  2. Stunning parade of pics. Envy is not nice but I envy that view!
    Best
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed - I'm going to miss this view when the time comes, esp if I go to where there's no backdrop.

      Delete
  3. LOVE those hills in the evening!!! wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them at that time, though the rest of the year when warm to hot, is even better!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. That's a great term, though with the wind straight from Wyoming / Manitoba, it could have been a shotglass snowstorm!

      Delete
  5. Great view...any time of day.

    Snow is nice to look at. We're finally getting a little wetness here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're getting some wet...I hope it's a good, soaking rain. Last time there in Nov it was parched again, more like Sept weather! Snow is nice...esp in the mountains...

      Delete
  6. The hourly views were so interesting. And each had their own special beauty, but - Wow! - 5:00 is just gorgeous! I am sorry to hear that you're only getting a little bit of snow. I don't like snow, but I can appreciate the moisture it brings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I agree. I actually didn't notice the shift until I tried this series...sundown here is amazing, either opposite the sun or into it (though I have to hike or ride up to see that!). Hoping for all of us to get wetter this month.

      Delete
  7. So interesting to capture how the light affects the garden throughout the day. I loved the dusting if snow and the pretty pink evening light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall seeing some nice light in your area a couple evenings this past August...yes, that pink is wild, and it's most every night, and in most SW cities.

      Delete
  8. It is amazing how much the weather can change throughout the day this time of year. I am envious of your views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There too? Here, it seems that day was turbulent since the sun would drive up the moisture and get more clouds, then clearing, then clouds. Thanks - nice views do compensate for the insane dryness this year!

      Delete
  9. David, What great idea to capture the garden at hour intervals throughout the day. I especially love the way the plants look flocked in the early part of the day. Your view is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I think this hourly view series helped me appreciate the radical shift in light, view from here, etc. Must be so many ways to see our gardens!

      Delete
  10. David - wonderful pictures - I'm still amazed at the weather changes in desert areas. It was cold here last night and out running early, I found a puddle covered in ice - ironic as it hasn't rained, so the puddle must be irrigation water run-off! Such is the desert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - am just starting to re-read your Sunnylands posts. Yes, weather changes are amazing in the desert, such a wild land! Saw the same thing Friday...neighbor watering too much, then it froze...

      Delete
  11. 10:20 looks pretty enticing...although I bet it was colder out there than it looks? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 10 was the most pleasant time, before the cold, dry wind started!

      Delete