Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Foliage Follow-up - 1/2013

I must have taken a wrong twoin at Alba-quoy-key!

I'm making two presentations today at the ProGreen Expo in Denver, but here are a few indoor foliage views. Not to mention outdoor foliage that definitely speaks of where I am the balance of this week, in the mountains west of the city.

After visiting me, please visit Pam/Digging for more mid-winter foliar scenes - here.
Rosemary - cultivar unknown. I like it potted indoors; I also like indoors when it's 10F out!
Those scaly, waxy leaves just sing of the sunny, warm hills of my ancestors - far away. Minty, drought-tolerant goodness.
A potted Meyer Lemon right next to the Rosemary

My sister says it gets scale, causing those deposits, once it's moved inside for their long, Rocky Mountain winter.
We need our doses of warmth , so we put up with the trouble of bringing in plants and babying them until our
kind of weather reappears.

Outside, off her deck, the familiar slopes of 14,000'+ Mount Evans pops behind the conifers. On the right, a wild Ponderosa Pine grows. She's near the upper elevational limit of that species, while Albuquerque is far more arid and below it's lower elevational limit.

Lesson - enjoy them up here; take a hike, ride a bike... Don't force the wrong plant into a foreign place. There's a difference between sensible and crazy zone-pushing, and the key is finding an analogous environment, given cultural realities. You might know that; if you don't, it's necessary but very rewarding in your garden, when spicing up things into the exotic. Where I live, that pine grows 2500' higher in elevation, only 5 miles away...but there are areas in southern Italy or Afghanistan far more similar to my climate and environment than there. If others would get that.
Without these evergreen conifers, winter would be drab. But not with their waxy, minty
greens and gray greens, enhanced with the sun, blue skies, and white snow.

Stunning in the right place!


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful views. The sub-zero temps would keep me inside too! The trees are pretty, but you can only go so far afield when pushing the zone or native range.

    The lemon blooms and rosemary are a treat for cold winter days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chill was invigorating to a point...but the point was a brief one. Some really push hard for something and against reality, when respecting one's sense-of-place would be so much easier and not limiting at all.

      Delete
  2. Reminds me of home....ahhhh....so beautiful. I can feel my nose hairs sticking together just now when I took a deep nose breath....HAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, though I grew up on that pine's lower end. The summer vanilla smell of the bark is other-worldly!

      Delete
  3. Someone forgot to tell that to the thousands of happy Ponderosa pines in Albuquerque. Yes, there are many in bad spots, but I frankly don't see how a Ponderosa tree that one has to water once in a while is any worse than a mesquite tree that is killed to the ground every ten years. Both are 'native'. I have seen some Ponderosa in insanely dry conditions in the foothills, so I think they are a bit tougher than what people let on. Heck thousands have survived this year with neglectful owners who only allowed them to have a meager 6 inches of natural precipitation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting; regardless of your identity, I try to extend the courtesy of a reply. Plus, my readers and I thank you for entertaining via blurring exceptions and rules.

      Ponderosas - "someone forgot to tell..." - jaja, it's the other way around with me! Plants can't listen; many people observe the tens of thousands of unhappy ponderosas in Abq that trump your thousands. Shy of plant pathology work, that majority of tortured ponderosas is probably due to more than edaphic or cultural issues. You might not be aware of my past statements about 5000'+/- elev provenances of that species in AZ/NM, which could provide seed for more-adapted ponderosas in Abq - in the right context. One is from '09 - http://desertedge.blogspot.com/2009/10/bland-canyon-trip.html I live and worked / spent much time in the foothills, so I'm familiar with those trees - OK for Abq, but nothing like their potential. And not nearly as nice as numerous Pinus eldarica or P. pinea all over Abq.

      Mesquite - in my 21 years in Abq, I should have seen that "die to the ground" cycle 2-3 times, but I haven't once - unless it's 1 or 2 plants I missed. Would appreciate addresses, dates of death and photos, to help determine the actual species (only 2 central NM-native Prosopis species) and their grower / seed provenance - that may shed some light. Though there aren't thousands in town, my past monitoring over time including my jobs show most in fair to good health.

      There's more about 'native' and my reasoning on my continual learning quest, on this blog's right column and top page links. Would also enjoy comparing climate data across those plants' ranges - fun stuff over a beer at Farina, unless they don't have wifi.

      Delete
  4. Gotta love those high-country plants and views. The snow and cold? Not so much. But I suppose you don't get one without the other. Thanks for sharing this new place with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - my favorite is to leave all Denver is, and be back up here in solitude in <1 hour. Shhh...cold and warm go back and forth, so never bad long.

      Delete