Thursday, November 29, 2012

Almost Winter in ABQ

Fall is ending; from recent hard freezes, I think early winter is almost here.

But few would call winter in ABQ "hard"; most are not even considered "winter" by many northern transplants! A few 1-2" snows to paralyze the town, some dustings, and over half our storm events as gentle rain - called mujer rains by some (mujer = woman in Spanish) - that's usually it, among mostly cool sun or high clouds.

With no storms in sight for the next week, I'll enjoy the low light and the last of 2012's plant growth.
Deergrass still has some green among the gold; a month ago, it was gold among the green.
A pink selection of Autumn Sage, nicely protected and now in mostly shade, shows off some.

The other foliage, Soft-leafed Yucca and Hairy Mountain Mahogany, remains as green bones.

The 'Furman's Red' selection of Autumn Sage / Salvia greggii shows off, too. Protected against my neighbor's house wall, but at 10' from my dining table door, it's a nice treat - as long as I keep watering every few days and our lows stay in the low-mid 30's F. They probably won't much longer, and the damage is already done from 2 weeks ago.

Anything brightening your garden from the mundane?

6 comments:

  1. Always nice to take time to enjoy those last days of blooms. Your garden still looks good but it does get colder there. Autumn sage usually makes a quick comeback in spring because it rarely dies back.

    I passed up deergrass at a nursery last spring, seeing yours looking so good I should put it on the list. It's similar to my Mystery muhly from last fall. I posted a look at my backyard over the last few weeks today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice 20 minute distraction...too bad I'm still not done with my deadline! Yes colder than SA, but as much warmer than many areas just over the mountains from me...we're getting temps now that they were over a month ago. I should have deergrass pics from more ideal soils - 4', rounded, lush, nice.

      Delete
  2. Hello there!!! Today I was working on our fountain in the courtyard. We now have a waterline established....a fountain......tomorrow, we're connecting it all together:) It's going to look great when it's all finished. The Autumn Sage here is doing well and has a couple flowers at the tips. It looks great....but I'm preparing for the colder temps:) We are again heading up to Colorado Springs next month and I can only imagine how cold and windy it's going to be. Hope you are well. PS Thanks for the link the other day. It sounds very interesting and has me interested. Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice, and good luck getting that fountain rolling. I bet you still have hummingbirds there, don't you? So far, it's been mild in Colo Springs / all the southern plains, I think even up into Denver and Nebraska. Here, benign...not that warm, but a little more than usual...and bone dry.

      I thought you'd enjoy that new, vast edible garden by A Mtn!

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy seeing your Hairy Mountain Mahogany David. What a unruly, yet well behaved tree. And the foliage looks so silvery blue'ish...olive leaf'ish????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The twigs and trunks are especially olive tree-colored, yet it's in the rose family! "Unruly...well-behaved" - perfect. Think of it as a high desert foothills native version of your Yaupon trees.

      Delete