Monday, March 19, 2012

Morning Light + Coffee

I start my day, before working out or working, seeing scenes like this, as I make my coffee and some breakfast.
Some other views of the same thing.

In summer, I grab a quick breakfast, seeing this as I water in the pots and go work out before it gets too hot. I have to go fast. By 9 am, such views forgotten, I've worked out, in my office designing or working.

I often miss that time with fires, deadlines, or other interruptions.

In spring and fall, it is rarely too warm or cool to be on such time constraints, and I enjoy its entirety. Like a few days ago.

In winter, this happens later, and there are no flowers on those winter jasmines, except late in January, at the earliest...but everything else remains as bones for the light to play off of. 

That light - universal to the SW deserts, no matter the elevation.

Hairy Mountain Mahogany (fromt R) stays green all year, and picks up on the low light angle with its leaf hairs. Beaked Yucca (rear L) stays blue-green all year, standing with leaves shimmering against the periodic, brutal E winds, or peacefully in more typical, benign weather.

And right out the dining / kitchen door, not bad even without any flowers on the Autumn Sage. I can smell the coffee.


In front is a Beargrass that reseeded on our property, which a friend transplanted into an existing blue pot. More morning light.
Artsy! I long to finally have Saturday mornings when I can truly enjoy this without any deadlines, like monkeys on my back. Just a book, coffee and breakfast, with simple things like how light plays on everything.

13 comments:

  1. It's the best, isn't it? There is nothing like it. Sooooooo my blogger friend, we are having some nasty cold rainy weather here. I imagine you may have some coming your way if you haven't already.....and there is snow!! Covering plants tonight....just in case. It's cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that, but I guess Abq got the cold without the rain and snow. I was sure if Cochise County AZ got snow, we would, too, but one too many mountains blocked it? (that pesky Gila Region!) Am in northern CA now, so I really know how unique our desert AM light is...back next week!

      Delete
  2. I hate to share with you what I have to look at when I get up in the morning here in Sweden. Dull gloomy and grey. In the peak of winter it's just black until 9:30am , then it's dull grey.

    As far as weather you folks should be getting quite a dump on by now or a little later, So-Cal got fairly large amounts which should go along way towards bring back up to normal yearly totals. My mum got almost 3 inches yeaterday at her house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall that same weather as your's when I lived in Belgium, it seemed just like that except in summer! Much snow in Arizona and in the mountains just above L.A., as I flew over it yesterday. I hope Abq gets some rain or snow, but it is so hard to get anything but dust and wind in March...

      Delete
    2. I have family who live up above you there in Tijeras just to the east on I-10. Yup, I'm home sick for the southwest. I not much on So-Cal anymore. Too many people and development has encroached on many rural areas. Hope you get quite a bit of snow or rain to fill up those aquafirs. Just looked at the radar map over there and it appears and I see now that the major part of that storm is over eastern Texas , Oklahoma on into Arkanasa.

      **New Update** on mum's Alpine rain total. 3.65 inches - Wow - at least for there it is.

      So-Cal totals updated:

      http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/display_product.php?sid=SGX&pil=RRM

      You had a comment below to someone about how important the mornings are. I'm definitely a morning person. Always up at 4:00am while living all those 24 years in Anza. I always had lots of work to do as own owned several acres. But I had the coffee maker time set at 5:30am and would break for 30 minutes on my covered porch and deck just before the sun came over the ridges of Santa Rosa Mtns to the east. I had a wonderful 180 degree view of 2 valleys on either side and snow cao scenery straight ahead. My land was purposely architeched and designed for attracting wildlife as well as for colour and beauty. Really miss that place.

      Thanks again for your blog.

      Kevin

      Delete
  3. That morning light is beautiful....the promise of a bright new day.

    Did you get some winter weather?

    Storms are headed here. More rain to help refill the lakes. We'll take the rain...the bad storms stay away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just need to carry that promise all day! It did get wintery late Sunday, then it dried out but stayed cold. And am near San Jose CA, and cold all the way here. Glad you are getting that rain...you all need it!

      Delete
  4. Great views with the mountains in the background!!
    Sounds like a perfect morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect, and I recall the exact same thing in Tucson (except July and August!!)

      Delete
  5. Oh boy...light and warm enough to go outside with your morning coffee, I can't wait! But I guess I'll have to, 34 and raining is no good for that activity. Thanks for reminding me of the good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you...it is trying to warm here in the SF Bay Area, but not enough. Soon, it shall warm even for you and Calif! (and hopefully be back in Abq when I return)

      Delete
  6. My favorite time in the garden...walking around surveying the little kingdom with a hot cup of tea first thing in the morning. Sheer bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what it is...surveying the land, seeing it before the sun and heat change it's character into one of dormancy.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! I try responding to comments within a few days, though my day job can call. Comments now require word-verification, thanks to evil spammers...