Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Design for February

Think bones first. Then "plant jewelry" - the seasonal, fleeting flower color - to add understated elegance. What bones listed or unlisted below, would you keep or remove, to accomplish that for winter? Which will then provide good bones to accomodate the jewelry.

Below are some random landscapes I saw driving back home a few weeks ago; none are of my design.

Pinon (L back), Prickly Pear (front), Rosemary and patio wall (R back), Desert Willow trunks (R), white mailbox and axial walk to front:



Banana Yucca, Red Yucca (front):


Sotol (L), red door and white portal / covered patio interior:


Sotol and Lavender (front), Red-Tip Photinia (middle), Parry's Agave and shade ramada (back): 


Sotol (front L), Creosote Bush (rear R):


Japanese Euonymus hedge. The anti-design/lawn/roses/order clique here loves to hate this old-time evergreen, but this is one tough plant - not as susceptible to scale and other problems here as other places:
On a future post, I might contrast fleeting flower-centered landscapes with some alternatives "designed for February".

Thanks for the inspiration on this post, here and here, Tara!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes...they have the bones, and some just need some more plants. (too much gravel dependence here)

      Delete
  2. Love your description of blooms as "jewelry"! And winter is the perfect time to check out the bones of a garden. I actually love that last picture, but I'm a hedge-loving kind of gal. I also love that picture of the lavender and sotol, but am not a fan of photinia. Good post - made me stop, look, and think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...I sometimes refer to them as the icing on a cake. Hedges need more re-use, esp here in the land of block walls or wood fences (which fall apart or become sawdust in time). Your post on "them bones" (?) gave me the idea I need to post more on winter bones, before spring hits. Photinia - when I saw them with Crepe Myrtles in Montgomery, Alabama, it is hard to like them here any more!!

      Delete
  3. Unique, beautiful, and very fitting for the Land of Enchantment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing the simple beauty that grows where it is dry.

      Delete
  4. i love that ideas of "plant jewelry." if you have nice bones, then you look good even when the jewels aren't happening--but even better when they are!! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laguna! Bulls-eye...my professors in college always said, do every drawing to look good in black and white...color, if you have time.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! I try responding to comments within a few days, though my day job can call. Comments now require word-verification, thanks to evil spammers...